About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 20, 2024, 03:49:42 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

general question about the glass bottles

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: general question about the glass bottles  (Read 772 times)
deelsb26

« on: August 22, 2012, 02:34:32 pm »

hey, question..why are some IP bottles hollowed out, then inside painted and are heavier in weight, (ends up looking like a bottle inside a bottle) and others are lighter weight and just looks like the painting is inside the whole bottle? Am I making scense? O.K. probably not...so humor me Smiley Danna
Report Spam   Logged

Danna

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 03:13:32 pm »

Do you mean ( as an example ) bottles like this Suo Zhenhai bottle that Charll shared a while back..

Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 03:16:24 pm »

Hi Danna,

You almost confuesed me Wink but I think I know what you mean.

Some bottles are fully hollowed out, after being painted,those bottle look like the painting is inside the whole bottle.

Some bottles are partially hollowed out(Like your cat bottle), after being painted , they look like that there is another bottle inside, and those bottle is much heavier than the ones fully hollowed.

So it really depends on how the bottles are hollowed.

Does it make sense?

Steven

Report Spam   Logged

deelsb26

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 04:57:45 pm »

yes to both of you. George, yes that bottle you showed is one that when painted looks like a bottle within a bottle, of course I know it isn't... the way steven explained it is making scense to me, and that explains it. Is one more desirable then another, or is it like i suspect, that it would depend on 1.) the artist 2.) the quality of the painting 3.) how much you like it?
Report Spam   Logged

Danna
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 06:02:59 pm »

Danna,
  The 'market value' would depend on the first two; its value to you would depend on 3 primarily, but I would say 1 and 2 as well.
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

deelsb26

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 06:46:36 pm »

thanks guys, that helped me, and I'm sure any other "newbies" checking this out! Have a great night.
Report Spam   Logged

Danna
aidan31

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 07:13:34 am »

Hello Danna-

I concur with Joey's valuation grade; however, I've noticed that generally the better painters tend to use the better hollowed bottles.  I have 50+ bottles painted by Suo Zhenhai and most of them are painted in very well hollowed bottles.  Some of his less expensive bottles were done in bottles with thick walls and the paintings were of simpler, less complex designs.  His more elaborate paintings were always done in well hollowed bottles and the ones I commissioned from him of specific designs were also done in well hollowed bottles.

My observations, of course, are a reflection of my personal tastes.  I prefer a bottle to be comfortable when held in the hand, not heavy as the less well hollowed bottles feel.  I think also that it partially depends on how much money the artist has to purchase a blank bottle.  To make a well hollowed bottle demands more time and skill on the part of the carver and therefore would be more expensive.

I hope think helps a bit.

Rick
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 08:29:34 am »

Rick,
  I agree with your observation as a rule, but have seen some top quality modern IPSB artists, purposely use bottles only partially hollowed, especially in quartz or agate, for effect. So, while I agree in principle, I must point out that little exception to the basic rule.
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

aidan31

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 10:44:16 am »

Joella-

Indeed, there are exceptions to every rule and I do agree with you but I was adressing VMIP glass bottles.

While there are some inside painted agate bottles that have thick walls to fit in with the design of the painting, I personally think the paintings show better detail in a thinly hollowed bottle.  The majority of inside painted agate bottles that I have seen tend to be VM and, at times, the only way to appreciate the painted designs are with back lighting.  Some can be very lovely bottles with innovative designs making use of the natural inclusions but I feel that if you cannot appreciate the design except with back lighting they become novelties as opposed to works of art.

Again, just personal observations and inclinations.

Rick
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 10:51:11 am »

Dear Rick,
   AS I said, I agree with you, but Peter has some and a few others, as well (I think Richard and Pat), and they have a little area hollowed out and painted, and they are very good quality and important artists. With that exception, I'd be totally in agreement with your statements.
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: