About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 08:50:22 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Websites of Modern Chinese Inside Painted Artists

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Websites of Modern Chinese Inside Painted Artists  (Read 2536 times)
George
Administrator

Test

« on: August 25, 2012, 03:54:47 am »

Please remember...

This new board is not for posting random school websites..

This is strictly for individual artist ( especially students ) to come to the forum, and share their own websites, blogs, Facebook pages, etc..

A chance for them to let us get to know them, and each other..

I think it wouold really be better if we just let the actual artists post their own information, rather than just randomly start posting a whole bunch of websites..

« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 04:43:38 am by Bottle Guy » Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 04:36:03 am »

I tend to agree with George. What are the legal ramifications of becoming a mini eBAY of modern SBs? The operational ramifications? The social ramifications (how we relate to each other)?
  So far we have been sharing info (I don't know of any attempts at selling bottles which were actually successful; correct me if I'm wrong.).
Shabbat Shalom,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 11:01:02 am »

Hi All

I agree   with  George

We  just  create a    space  with a clear    dual  title  in engish and chinese  ( thanks to  Richy for the  Chinese)  where   the  artists  can  post their  own  website addresses  / blogs   etc

Nothing else.

From then  on it's up to them.    Once  a  few  catch  on  it  may spread once  we  hit the   "tipping  point" but that  may take  a    year  or  two.

I  don't  agree  with  Joey  about  using the  Forum as a  mini- ebay.  That  would  involve  a huge  overhead  in admin time  ( for which  George  has no  easy way to charge) ,  not to mention endless  arguments  between members.

Members   are free   at any time to  sell/  barter/ trade  bottles  but    let's  keep  that   private  and  off the  Forum

KISS   '  Keep It  Simple  Stupid"

Cheers  Peter
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 12:43:50 pm »

Peter,
   So you DO Agree with me. I was using the term by way of 'irony' (surely you heard of irony at Oxford?). It sounded like that was what was proposed. I'm glad that I was mistaken.   Wink Grin
Shabbat Shalom,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 01:55:24 pm »

Hi All

I agree   with  George

We  just  create a    space  with a clear    dual  title  in engish and chinese  ( thanks to  Richy for the  Chinese)  where   the  artists  can  post their  own  website addresses  / blogs   etc

Nothing else.

From then  on it's up to them.    Once  a  few  catch  on  it  may spread once  we  hit the   "tipping  point" but that  may take  a    year  or  two.

Yes, exactly...

This is a great opportunity for a couple of reasons..

Foremost it is an opportunity for existing student artist to introduce themselves, share a little about themselves.. Also hopefully these same artists may find themselves meeting and sharing with other student artists..

This has been a big dream and goal expecially for Peter.. It was also a big part of what both Peter and I talked about in regards to an opportunity for student artists to gain a little well deserved recognition that they just do not seem to be getting.. Neither from the schools they represent, or the ICSBS..

This is just one small step towards that.. Hopefully in the near future, we can build off this new student artist area and add new boards as necessary in the future..  Maybe even find that these students might enjoy having a little private area of their own that they can talk amongst themselves and share between themselves and members here things that they do not want to share publicly..

It is just a starting point..

With the introduction of Yu Nong, this is a great time to get this kicked off, and especially with the convention just around the corner.. May draw a few students as a result from the convention..
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 07:29:45 pm »

Hi  George

Seems   we  are  on the   same  page   re  the     artist   website page

Except   that  I advise to   drop the   "student"    moniker  :  it's for   all  artists   who have  taken the  trouble   to set  up a   website /  blog  / whatever

I'm  probably  ( almost)  unique  in this  Forum  in that  I  do  brush  shoulders  with a  lot of   artists  and   pick up their  name  cards  (  which, I  should point  out,  are   all  copied  into  my data base)   .  Thus I do    find  out their   web addresses  by  this means.  But  the names  they  choose  for their  websites  are  so   totally  obscure  that  there's no possible  way  a  Google  search  engine   could  ever   find  them   e.g  Yu Nong's  blog  is    blog.sina.com.cn/hhyyzz

Also  they   tend to  use   Chinese     blog  and website  systems  (  eg  QQ )   which  are  100%  Chinese  and    totally  non-understandable  to   western  readers who can' t  read Chinese

BUT  ......... thanks  to the  magic  of  Google,  if  one  goes  to  such  Chinese  websites  via  Google 
( i.e  type  in the  website  address  in the  Google  search  bar)     one  can get an  automatic  translation via  Google : it's  not a very good   translation,  but  it  does   work  well  enough to  navigate the   artist's  site

I will  work  on Yu Nong  and  also  Hu  Xiaoran  (   who is very  computer - savvy)  to   try and  get the  message  out  to    Hengshui    and  Shijiazhuang   artists.    It  will  take  time  but   it  will be  worth it

There's  also a   few  things   happening  that  will  help  "tip"  :   No  1 being that  that  ICSBS will  hold their  annual   convention  in  China  - probably  Beijing  -  in 2014.    This  will be a  big thing  and  will   surely   make a huge  difference  as   both  ICSBS members and   artists  all  learn to   use   computers  much better. 

If  you  think of the  advances  in the past  5  years    what with Google, off-the-shelf  Forum  software ,   and  US$100   iPad - type   computers , the  whole   world   is  changing (  something I predicted   several   years   ago  re  China and the  Us$100  iPad   thing as a  tipping point)

I'm so happy   that   George   set  up the  Forum when  he  did  and  that  it  already  has  such  momentum.  And  enough  momentum  - I  do hope  - that  no-one  ever   tries to  set  up a   rival  Forum.  That  would  be a  disaster.

We  do  need  a  "MSN"  type   100%  dominant  system    that   crushes  all    other attempts  so that  eventually  there's  ONLY  one place to   go   : THE   FORUM . 

And  happy to see that   Google   search  for   "snuff  + bottle  +  forum"   still hits  us  as  No  1  /  top  of the  pops.

The   Forum  may have its   failings,    and  members  may  come and go    depending on their    whims   ( no  names  mentioned   Cheesy  ) ,  but  better    just  ONE  FORUM  than  multiples and  clones , which  would  eventually confuse   everyone

I hope  I have  demonstrated  my commitment  to  this  Forum  through  thick and   thin   these  past  couple  of  years,   and the  reason  is  very  simple  : this is the  best thing for  MIPB     since  sliced  bread !

When  I  fully  retire  in late   2013  I will do a lot  more  on the   Forum, and that's a promise

Cheers

Peter

Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 07:41:06 pm »

Except   that  I advise to   drop the   "student"    moniker  :  it's for   all  artists   who have  taken the  trouble   to set  up a   website /  blog  / whatever

Got it  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2012, 08:57:12 pm »

Yes I agree on the ALL artists part.  I also do think there is merit to having a seperate listing of ALL snuff bottle related sites (whether from dealers or collectors).
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: