About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 19, 2024, 12:06:49 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Todays Famille Rose

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Todays Famille Rose  (Read 649 times)
George
Administrator

Test

« on: July 29, 2012, 06:54:13 pm »

Just to share a famille rose bottle won today..

Having a bit of a hard time figuring out the reign mark..

2 1/4" tall...

Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 07:15:07 pm »

Hi George,

The mark can be read  " made in yongzheng period",

The painting are the same subject" Twenty-Four Stories of Filial Piety" as the last one you posted, but not sure why the guy is naked in reverse side.

The front side could be "Weep at Tomb When Hearing Thunder" , but certainly can not  be sure.

Steven 
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 07:24:42 pm »

George,
    It is marked "Yongzheng  (ca. 1721-1735) period made" but it is late 19th C./early 20th C.
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 08:01:25 pm »

Thanks guys !

Your the best !  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 08:52:46 pm »

George,
 Did you notice the wax seal on a piece of tape on one side of the bottle? That was a seal from the PRC, documenting that the piece was antique - between Daoguang (1821-1850) and Guangsu (1874-1908), and exportable by law. Question is, was the tape with the seal originally put on this bottle or stuck on, after being taken off another bottle or piece. Personally, I think it is original to the bottle, since it is my belief the bottle is Guangsu period.
Shabbat Shalom, Joey
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 09:50:50 pm »

It appears to be a Jian Ding (Certified) Export approval seal from Guangdong (Province) Cultural Relics Bureau #1, Guangdong (Canton) Province.

They were issued from around 1949 and are still being put on any old looking porcelain which are to be allowed to be exported out of China. Apparently it does not guarantee anything except this.

My best guess is that the tape was intentional from the start and the seal is original and intentionally applied over the tape when the bottle was exported.. Maybe someone else can tell if that would have been likely..

Jian Ding Seal

Seal on bottle..

Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 07:05:28 am »

George,
   I bought a really nice 18th C. plain glass flask, with a superb green Jadeite stopper set in 22K gold, with a gold spoon & 'cork', for US$35, in 1988, at the Shanghai Government Antiques Store #1. At least it would have been nice if it hadn't had a crack from the hot wax seal applied straight to the bottle. I was informed that they'd started putting tape first, because of this. The nice older man, who'd suffered during the Cultural Revolution, and was a 'lowly clerk' still, 12 years later, but knew much more than the 'managers', who were all party members, quietly directed me towards it, after I'd given him one of my catalogues as a gift, and dedicated it, "To ... in humility and with great respect to a serious master of snuff bottle knowledge". He said, "the bottle is sadly damaged, because of the stupidity of applying hot wax to 18th C. glass, but the stopper would probably be worth US$100 over, on its own, and these communist peasants don't even know that!"
  I thanked him, and bought it, and two more like it, for the stoppers! I bought 3 gold & jadeite stoppers for just over US$100, when each was worth actually, almost 3 times that. I also gave him a gift for his wife, and thanked him profusely.
Shabbat Shalom, Joey
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 10:28:38 am by Joey » Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 08:55:43 am »

Thank you for that information about the use of the tape, and the wonderful story as well  !
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: