About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 03:09:54 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Glass ?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Glass ?  (Read 606 times)
George
Administrator

Test

« on: July 27, 2012, 10:57:41 am »

Described as glass, but I have never seen a glass like this before..

Not so sure it is glass.

Any ideas ?

Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 11:03:25 am »

Hi George,

Yeah, it looks glass to me, could be a glass imitating stone bottle, I have a couple of glass imitating agates , will share once I have a chance.

Report Spam   Logged

aidan31

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 08:54:27 pm »

Hello-

From the photo it certainly appears to be glass.  The tiny nicks to the surface have conchoidal fractured surfaces, which is often seen in glass.  I would rule out gemstone material and porcelain but working from a picture can be confusing.

Rick
Report Spam   Logged

DCist
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 01:21:48 am »

I agree glass - based on the nicks, looks like it is imitating yixing pottery to me! Unusual since most of the glass imitations tend to imitate stones or coral, but the shape is often seen in metal bottles.
Report Spam   Logged
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 04:24:25 am »

I had an example of this type glass snuff bottle when I started collecting (ca.1970-1975). The auction catalogue (Ward Price Auctions, Toronto) called it "glass imitating caramel agate". I'd never heard of 'caramel agate' and have not since. But definitely glass.
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 09:18:27 am »

I'd never heard of 'caramel agate' and have not since. But definitely glass.

Me either Joey ...

The bidding has gone up over 25.00.. I am not sure it is worth much more than that..
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 09:20:59 am »

George,
  I tend to agree with you.
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

aidan31

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 08:10:23 pm »

Dear Joey, et al

I love the moniker "caramel agate".  LOL  As a former employee of an auction house I can attest to the fact that many catalogers know only a surface bit of information on the object they are attempting to describe.  I would hate to see what I would come up with if given a piece of ancient Egyptian art to catalog.

If a cataloger knows his/her subject with some depth, the description will use "standard" terms.  If the cataloger has less than an in-depth knowledge of a subject, they tend to pull adjectives "out of the air".  I suspect this is how the description "caramel agate" came about.

Don't be too hard on the catalogers though.  Many are over-worked and have a wide variety of pieces pushed on their desk for description.  I have always found it best to push a piece I know nothing about off of my desk and on to someone else's and let the mud be on their face.

Rick
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 06:06:20 am »

Rick,
  The Auction House in question, Ward Price, in Toronto, was very small, and one guy covered Antiquities,  'Oriental' (!) and Pre-Columbian! But at 14-15, I was very impressed with his cataloguing skills! The fact that he was tall, good-looking, and well built, with a past in the Canadian Army (he was 28 and had been in the army from 18-23), had absolutely nothing to do with my admiration. Wink
  Is that the 'CYA' theory ("Cover Your Ass") of cataloguing?!
What, have you been teaching Pres. Obama and his staff in your free time? Wink Cheesy
Joey
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 06:11:06 am by Joey » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: