About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 19, 2024, 08:40:10 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Some Like It Small

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Some Like It Small  (Read 1223 times)
rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« on: July 15, 2012, 12:57:27 am »

This is a thin walled porcelain snuff bottle with a warm cream crackled glaze of soft-paste with 5 under glaze blue (shi) lions playing with a brocade ball.  The bottom foot is glazed in the same manner with no mark.  The unglazed raised foot ring is stained in a bronze colored wash.  The bottle is just 5.2 cm (2 inches) in height without the stopper and 2 cm wide.  The stopper is a translucent orange glass bead with a collar of old opaque red glass.  Though the interior is completely glazed and clean, a faint hint of an aromatic snuff remains.

These bottles are reported to be from the Daoquang period (1821-1850).  This bottle is a very close match to a Gerry P. Mack Collection bottle, Lot 348, sold at Sotheby's on 10/25/1997.

I’ve read that many of these small bottle designs may have been made for and preferred by the feminine gender.  Though I do not have anymore information as to why there was such desire or need for bottles that are 2 inches and less in size.   Charll

« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 06:11:27 pm by rpfstoneman » Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 02:22:40 am »

Dear Charll,
I have found your bottle absolutely interesting. As a Chinese ceramic lover you know that that bronze colored foot is usually referred to Song pieces and their replicas. It is the first time that I see this on a piece not related to Song ware (being it original or copy). Very interesting. Who knows this have some relation with the feminine destination of this bottle, a kind of embellishment.
The size remind me my five roosters bottle, although that one is more fat.
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 02:56:01 am »

Charll

Smaller hands among Chinese females in those days, .. would seem a plausible explanation for the smaller size bottles.  The general average size and height has gone up significantly in the past century or so.

Very nice bottle!
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 08:56:02 am »

I only noticed this thread after Giovanni re-opened it today. Nice bottle, Charll.

Interestingly, auction catalogues prior to the mid-1970s often described smaller bottles as "ladies' bottles". Then, at some point in the late 70s the term was ridiculed by a few well-established collectors. Can't remember for sure, but Bob Stevens may have started it in his book. Anyhow, the term was dropped after that like a hot potato.

Nonetheless, Chinese ladies DID use snuff, so at least SOME of the bottles must have been made with the female gender in mind.

Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 04:04:57 am »

Dear Charll, all,
this of the small bottles being possibly intended for the ladies is an interesting argument, worth to further discuss it I think. So I think that you Charll do not mind if I take the opportunity to post more possibly examples here, as I think that this thread is most appropriate for that.
As Tom, said, women do sniff too. It was very common here in North Italy in the past. Today the habit has almost gone but many old woman do remember that.
To my Western eyes, I think that there are high probability that some small bottles was intended for the feminine use, considering also the more gentle shape etc.
I am posting here three of my small bottles, hard to believe that they was intended for man to my eyes. They are compared with a standard sized glass bottle. As you can see they are about a bit more than one inch. The left one is made into a natural acorn with coral stopper. Then a small amber bottle carved as a basquet and a small metal one, with a threaded metal stem that act as stopper and spoon.
Kind regards
Giovanni

* IMG_1.jpg (61.53 KB, 800x535 - viewed 27 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 04:28:41 am »

Dear Giovanni,

All three small bottles in your photograph are unusual and very attractive. There are 4-5 miniature fruit shape bottles in the Blair Collection (see Michael Hughes' book), which are part of a series made of porcelain (or possibly enameled metal, I cannot remember). Your gilt-metal one reminds me of them.

I think there is a parallel to be drawn between mini snuff bottles and miniature revolvers of 19th-century America, of which Derringer was a famous maker. These revolvers were traditionally treated as ladies' guns, because they were small enough to carry in a woman's purse. However, that did not prevent men from carrying them too, perhaps when they wanted to be discreet about carrying a weapon, or if they wanted to keep it inside a jacket pocket instead of a holster. In the same way, we might say that miniature snuff bottles were a natural choice for ladies, but may have been used equally by both sexes in practice.

Tom

Giovanni, is the small acorn a real nut, or carved from wood to appear like an acorn?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 04:30:44 am by Wattana » Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 05:41:25 am »

dear Tom,
I fully agree with your understanding about this matter.
The acorn one is a real acorn. Here are some pictures of the above bottles.
Kind regards
Giovanni

* IMG_2.jpg (41.82 KB, 800x473 - viewed 18 times.)

* IMG_3.jpg (50.54 KB, 800x636 - viewed 18 times.)

* IMG_4.jpg (55.17 KB, 800x674 - viewed 22 times.)

* DSCF4994.jpg (69.02 KB, 784x548 - viewed 24 times.)

* DSCF4997.jpg (72.81 KB, 827x580 - viewed 19 times.)

* DSCF5001.jpg (73.32 KB, 824x545 - viewed 22 times.)

* DSCF4939.jpg (90.89 KB, 714x882 - viewed 20 times.)

* DSCF4946.jpg (94.18 KB, 857x594 - viewed 19 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 05:47:52 am »

Thank you Giovanni.
They really are unusual. I especially like the metal one......a very delicate design.

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 10:39:04 am »

I agree with Tom,

I love the metal one as well. Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 02:56:33 am »

Dear Tom and Steven,
looking more carefully at the metal bottle last night, I have seen that it is made of copper. At this point being it a soft material I will try to improve the bump.
As you probably know I did start my collection with a group of bottles that I bought from an old collector. Recently I have added another group of bottles that I bought from the widow of another collector. The amber and the metal bottles seen here belongs from the second group, the acorn one from the first group.
The best bottles of the first group I still have to post here in the forum.
Beside these bottles in the next months I should manage to buy from the lady the second part of the collection, that I have not yet seen, with the best bottles according to her. I know that in that group there are three hornbill bottles.
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: