About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 12:41:45 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Need Help With Artist, Date, and Other Relevent Info.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Help With Artist, Date, and Other Relevent Info.  (Read 2010 times)
rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« on: December 06, 2011, 01:33:40 pm »

OK, I’m now trying to venture into “High Tech” stuff in posting with a photo.  Just pick up this bottle from I M Chait galleries.  Bottle was up for auction this last spring and did not sell, and came up again in November with a bit more interest.  Is there anyone that could help with the Chinese script.  I do not read Chinese, and the only character I think I recognize is that for the word ‘mountain’.   Nice, small bottle, with fine brush work.  The mountain and landscape scene continues to the back side with a “Avatar (the move)” look of hanging peaks and waterfall suspended in the sky.  Any information would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,  Charll
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 09:31:24 pm by rpfstoneman » Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 02:04:32 pm »

Hi Charll,

The script can be read" viewing the mountain" ,  it was painted @ February(杏月) of either 1976 or 1916(丙辰), I personally think its most likely 1976, not sure tho.
I didn't see any info of the artist.

Wish it helps..

Steven
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 02:08:21 pm by Steven » Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 02:18:24 pm »

The charactor just above the seal represents "made by" or "painted by".

More research really needs to be done about these different seals.

I just don't now how or where to start tackling it.. Perhaps just a gradual photographic collecting of seals on signed bottles towards associating the artist or school would be a start.. 

In this case, if we knew which school, or artist this specific seal was used by, then we could know either the artist or which school it was "made by/painted by"..
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
snuffbottlecollector

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 04:05:25 pm »

The symbol for painted by can also be used as painted on so this may simply read 'February 1976 painted" (assuming the date you have translated is correct). It does not necessarily imply that an artist name or seal is present in the writing.

Bill
Report Spam   Logged
George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 04:14:08 pm »

The symbol for painted by can also be used as painted on so this may simply read 'February 1976 painted" (assuming the date you have translated is correct). It does not necessarily imply that an artist name or seal is present in the writing.

Bill

Ah... I did not know it also meant "painted on" !

I was referencing from Bob Stevens book and that was not included.

Good to know, and now it makes sense with the rest of the script ..

Thanks Bill !
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 05:31:21 pm »

OK.  This information is great (Do you here the excitement)!  Likely painted in 1976.  No artist named.  

The back side has no script, just a continuation of the scene, so no further help.  Any speculation on a artist, artist style, or do we simply have a rendering of a Chinese painting in miniature?

You folks, now have me hooked!   I have a few more bottles I need help with.  So the next step is to start doing the photograph so I can post.  The continued identification and education is much appreciated.

Charll    
Report Spam   Logged

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 05:48:58 pm »

Also, forgive the occasional spelling and grammar.  I often just let the spell checker run with it and do not proof as well as I should.  The following is a framed picture above my desk to remind me (a picture of 'Winnie the Pooh' toiling over writing a letter ), “My spelling is wobbly. It’s good spelling but it wobbles and the letters get in the wrong places sometimes”.

Charll
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 06:05:34 pm »

You folks, now have me hooked!  

Excellent !  Thats what we like to hear !  Grin

By the way... Nice bottle !
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 06:21:23 pm by Bottle Guy » Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 06:51:37 pm »

Yes agreed.  Nicely painted bottle.  Good find for you Charll!  I believe that the light brown/beige backgound for the painting is called Shanghai school style painting in the scroll/silk painting world, so probably inspired by a painting from that school.  This is further described in "A Miniature World in a Bottle' book, referenced here somewhere earlier.. 
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 07:00:29 pm »

Yes agreed.  Nicely painted bottle.  Good find for you Charll!  I believe that the light brown/beige backgound for the painting is called Shanghai school style painting in the scroll/silk painting world, so probably inspired by a painting from that school.  This is further described in "A Miniature World in a Bottle' book, referenced here somewhere earlier.. 

You must have been reading my mind Pat !

I was going to add earlier how I have seen this light brown/beige and also the dark brown color palette painted bottles like this before. They really always stand out as a style all their own to me.

What a great piece of information to know regarding the Shanghai school style ! 
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Steven

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 11:52:12 am »

Here is a one on auction, the style is kind of like this one, detail landscape painted, script style is very close too. 

* $(KGrHqR,!iQE7DUNlNEwBO1ukJ)M8g~~60_3.jpg (85.45 KB, 478x640 - viewed 35 times.)

* 00s.jpg (42.16 KB, 596x800 - viewed 26 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 12:05:23 pm »

Good day Steven ...  Smiley

That bottle is being sold by the same seller in China who offered me this very similar one.. I can not read the script on the one you posted here, but probably the same late 1980's as the other.

He is a really nice guy, and have bought some bottles from him. I would have bought both of these to, except just a bit newer than I want.
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Steven

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 01:06:26 pm »

You r right , George. The one I posted is dated 1978.

I really like the small bottle size like this.Cutey!
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2011, 01:23:58 pm »

I also like the small bottle size..

Makes me appreciate the extra degree of difficulty of painting .. Much smaller hole, and canvas !

Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2011, 09:47:45 pm »

Here is another bottle I picked up in 2008 with no background information.  Can anyone interpret the script, date, artist, etc.  Looking for any and all information on this bottle.  Thanks for your time.

Charll

Report Spam   Logged

Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2011, 10:14:59 pm »

Very nice bottle.  The theme is very similar to one of mine, but mine is glass.  Can not help you with the detail info on it.  Surely others will chime in.
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

Steven

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2011, 11:05:38 pm »

the script can be read" snow gooses, painted on 2007 winter" which is on the front side,

On the back side which is pretty same" double gooses, painted on 2007 winter"

sorry ,I can't tell the artist's info from the seal..
Report Spam   Logged

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2011, 12:24:38 am »

Thanks for the information on the script Steven, and the quick feedback and comments from all. I appreciated the goose design in conjunction with the hair quartz bottle; a sort of rain effect. 

Charll
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2011, 12:27:00 am »

I don't know how I missed this most recent post with the goose bottle !

What a beautiful painting, and the rutiliated golden tourmaline quartz bottle is exceptional !
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2011, 01:41:53 pm »

George,

Steven did get the date and Chinese description for me.  The bottle apparently has no artist signature.  Now I'm just looking to see if any artist can be inferred and is the work a copy of some other Chinese art such as a painting or scroll?  Still looking for more information on the background of the presumed copied(?) art work if anyone has any insight.  Thanks to all who have helped so far.

Charll
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: