About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 18, 2024, 09:35:40 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Chronology In Perspective

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Chronology In Perspective  (Read 7279 times)
George
Administrator

Test

« on: September 18, 2017, 12:47:22 am »

Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 01:05:09 am »

Thanks George for posting again!!

I was actually searching the chart a couple of days ago, can't find it, it definitely become handy this week.Smiley

All the best!

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 01:35:12 am »

Dear Steven,

I could only see the chart from the earliest date to about the start of Jiaqing. Where is the rest of it [ca.1790-1912 at least]?

We should do a similar chart for Nephrite Jade.
We know that the finest Nephrite started arriving at the Qing Court a few years after the start of the Kangxi Emperor's reign, so say 1665, and Khotan stopped sending their finest material as Imperial Court Tribute ca.1710, when the Emperor and his rule were weakening.

The material received or purchased between 1710 and 1758, when the Qianlong Emperor's forces reconquered Khotan, was much less appealing. But superb bottles were made with it (look at the J & J collection bottle with a monkey doing a handstand on a lingzhi fungus, illustrated in Moss, "Silica & Quartz Group", for example).

Then, from 1758 to 1840s, fine material was received at the Court. But supposedly the Jiaqing Emperor closed down the Jade Workshops in the Palace after the death of the Qianlong Emperor in 1799 [he'd abdicated in 1795, after 59 years on the Dragon Throne, so as not to overshadow his grandfather, the Kangxi Emperor, who'd reigned 60 years (1662-1722)]. After 1799, supposedly all Jade carving for the Imperial Court was done back in Suzhou or Yangzhou, which had been considered the important centres of hardstone carving for centuries.

Best,
Joey
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 03:17:20 pm by Joey » Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 01:44:51 am »

Dear Joey,

Doing a chart for nephrite jade isn't a bad idea. If you and others can give me all the most significant dates, I can then set out the information in a similar way.

Just to remind everyone, the information on the above chart is not mine. I only collated the research already carried out by others.  I have refined the graphics a little to make the chart easier to read in PDF format. See attachment.

Best, 
Tom

* SB production r4a.pdf (47.64 KB - downloaded 77 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 05:33:10 am »

Thanks George for posting again!!

I was actually searching the chart a couple of days ago, can't find it, it definitely become handy this week.Smiley

All the best!

Steven

Realized I had made a mistake when adding this to the sidebar, and the link was directed to private.. So wanted to post it public so could link to it properly..
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 10:50:11 am »

We should do a similar chart for Nephrite Jade.
We know that the finest Nephrite started arriving at the Qing Court a few years after the start of the Kangxi Emperor's reign, so say 1665, and Khotan stopped sending their finest material as Imperial Court Tribute ca.1710, when the Emperor and his rule were weakening.

The material received or purchased between 1710 and 1758, when the Qianlong Emperor's forces reconquered Khotan, was much less appealing. But superb bottles were made with it (look at the J & J
  • bottle with a monkey doing a handstand on a lingzhi fungus, illustrated in Moss, "Silica & Quartz Group", for example).

Then, from 1758 to 1840s, fine material was received at the Court. But supposedly the Jiaqing Emperor closed down the Jade Workshops in the Palace after the death of the Qianlong Emperor in 1799 [he'd abdicated in 1795, after 59 years on the Dragon Throne, so as not to overshadow his grandfather, the Kangxi Emperor, who'd reigned 60 years (1662-1722)]. After 1799, supposedly all Jade carving for the Imperial Court was done back in Suzhou, which has been considered the centre of hardstone carving for centuries.

Dear Joey,

Thanks for additional info provided for the Nephrite Jade , I think that we can definitely add that to the chart.Smiley)

All the best,

Steven[/list]
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 03:18:19 pm »

Dear Steven,

I was just collating info I knew. Which of it was not known before?
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: