About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 19, 2024, 09:02:17 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Matching bottles to raw minerals

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Matching bottles to raw minerals  (Read 2495 times)
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2014, 08:54:46 am »

Dear Tom,
   Your info certainly convinces me, and I agree that you would not want to destroy a beautiful object, even for a 100% judgement!
Best,
  Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2014, 07:24:45 pm »

Tiger’s-Eye Mineral-

Tiger’s-eye is a macrocrystalline quartz in which an asbestos mineral crocidolite has been replaced by quartz while preserving the fibrous structure, resulting in a special silky luster yellow- brown stone with chatoyancy. 
Crocidolite is the asbestiform of riebeckite.  Tiger’s-eye is formed when the quartz takes over and dissolves the crocidolite, leaving the quartz compacted in fibrous form.  During the replacement process, the iron within the crocidolite dissolves and stains the quartz, thereby providing the golden yellow to brown color of the tiger's-eye.  During the pseudomorph transformation process, materials that contain more iron oxide result in brownish tiger's eye; less oxidation and less iron tends toward the original blue color of crocidolite creating hawk’s-eye.

When polished, the mineral’s silky luster creates a beautiful chatoyant effect of moving layers of yellow and brown lines and waves. This effect is caused by parallel intergrowth of quartz crystals and altered amphibole fibers that mostly turned into limonite.

The chatoyant semiprecious gemstone in its yellow-brown form is tiger’s-eye, while the blue form is called hawk’s-eye and the red form is known as dragon’s-eye.

Tiger's-eye can be found in many locations around the world. The chief source of tiger's-eye is South Africa, from the Northern Cape Province.  Other, less important sources include Namibia, Australia, India, and Thailand.  Although uncommon worldwide, the abundance of the deposits in South Africa are extensive enough to make tiger's-eye very affordable.

As a snuff bottle material it is considered a relatively late comer to the snuff bottle world, where most, if not all snuff bottle production occurs from the late 19th through the 20th century. 

The Bottle- Has a carved motif of a crane perched on a rock beneath a pine tree.  The motif is the same on both sides in a juxtapose image of each other.  The carver was able to use the outer weather (oxidized) rind of the stone one face of the bottle to simulate bark on the pine tree.   Sides have a detailed carving of lion heads with mouth rings.   The bottle is 5.6 cm without the matching stopper.  The bottle sits upon a raised oval foot ring.

Period: ca. 1880-1950.  Bottle was acquired in the 1970’s.

Rebus: The Pine and Crane together often are used to pass along a wish of “enjoyed longevity or may you stay young forever”.

* s Eye_1.jpg (263.7 KB, 800x600 - viewed 32 times.)

* s Eye_2.jpg (180.84 KB, 800x600 - viewed 25 times.)

* s Eye_3.jpg (121.14 KB, 450x600 - viewed 25 times.)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 02:06:14 am by rpfstoneman » Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2014, 08:32:29 pm »

Charll

Thank you for this informative post.  The bottle is nice with great chatoyancy but I would clearly place it in the second half of 20th century.
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2014, 09:17:25 pm »

I learned several things that did not know from your post Charll..

One thing I can share from working with tigers eye, is how impossible it is to go through all the stages of abrasives, and polishing and end up with a glossy finish.. The ends of the fibers always show.. It is necessary to apply sealers once finished so as to cover/coat those exposed fiber ends.

I like your bottle very much, and can appreciate the extra effort the lapidary had to go to in order to obtain the glossy finish.. Not to mention that it is really well carved..  This is not an easy mineral to work with..
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2014, 01:06:39 am »

Charll,

A nicely carved bottle in this tricky material. And a good piece of the raw material - a great photo.

Thanks for contributing to this thread! I enjoyed reading the geological information. However, I tend to agree with Pat's dating for the bottle itself.

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2014, 01:49:17 am »

Thank you Dear Charll and George for the interesting information about this mineral.
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2014, 08:31:24 am »

The bottle is nice with great chatoyancy but I would clearly place it in the second half of 20th century.

Pat,

You could be right about the dating.  This bottle could have been also been made anytime from 1950 to the 1970's when it was purchase.  It was purchased from an antique dealer in Portland, Oregon, and I'm just reporting the time frame provided which seem to fit the range.  The reality of it is that there are a number of folks here that have considerably more knowledge now than what the that dealer would have had at the time.

This is one of a few bottles acquired early in my collecting years when I was more into collecting minerals than snuff bottles. 

Charll

« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 08:42:58 am by rpfstoneman » Report Spam   Logged

joearp
Private Boards

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2014, 06:18:40 pm »

Love this bottle regardless of the date.  I have one that I purchased because of the rich luster of the bottle and the way it felt when I held it.  Such an interesting mineral.

Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2014, 02:04:43 am »

It's been three weeks since anything was posted on this thread, so here is the next one...

Smoky quartz is the gray/brown translucent variety of quartz. It ranges in clarity from almost complete transparency to various tones of brownish-gray crystal, including some that appears almost black. The very pale shades are popularly referred to as ‘tea crystal’, a term I personally dislike, as it conjures up images in my mind of a glitzy chandelier-lit Victorian tea salon – absolutely nothing to do with this very attractive mineral. 

Like all other see-through quartz, smoky quartz is a crystalline form of silicon dioxide (SiO2). The smoky colouration is caused by natural irradiation, resulting in traces of aluminum replacing free silicon in the crystal lattice. In normal geological environments this process can only take place at temperatures below 50°C, so the colour appears long after the crystals have formed and slowly cooled inside the earth. It is estimated by geologists to take several million years for a colourless crystal to assume a deep tone.

Interestingly, true smoky quartz will lose its colour when heated to about 200°C, and the colour will appear again when the crystal is irradiated with x- or gamma-rays. Consequently, the mineral can be artificially darkened by irradiation. Apparently a common practice is to artificially irradiate colourless quartz and sell it as smoky quartz. At big rock and gemstone fairs dealers are obliged to clearly label that quartz accordingly, as it's impossible to tell whether the source of the irradiation was natural or not just by looking at the crystals. Needless to say, some less scrupulous dealers don't do that and get away with it. In the USA a lot of agricultural produce gets irradiated with gamma rays as a means of sterilization, and a box of clear quartz just needs to be put on the same conveyor belt as the tomatoes for a couple of runs. Often the dealers overdo it and the crystals turn out suspiciously black!

The quartz crystals shown here are of medium gray tone and very pale gray, have good clarity, with nicely formed prism terminations, and stand 7.0 cm and 7.5 cm high respectively. The dealer from whom they were bought said they came from Mozambique, East Africa. I have no way of verifying if this is so. A colourless crystal (9.0 cm high) has been included in the first two pictures for tonal reference.

The bottles have been posted elsewhere. More information on them may be found here:

http://snuffbottle.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,1842.msg22833.html#msg22833

* RIMG1111-lo.jpg (106.1 KB, 600x450 - viewed 28 times.)

* RIMG1113-lo.jpg (103.85 KB, 600x450 - viewed 22 times.)

* RIMG1104-lo.jpg (96.39 KB, 600x400 - viewed 24 times.)

* RIMG1106-lo.jpg (107.75 KB, 600x450 - viewed 29 times.)

* RIMG1107-lo.jpg (108.19 KB, 600x450 - viewed 31 times.)

* RIMG1108-lo.jpg (107.12 KB, 600x450 - viewed 28 times.)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 02:21:24 am by Wattana » Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

YT
Private Boards

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2014, 02:29:47 am »

Dear Tom,

4 flawless smoky quartz, Nice!!  Beautiful examples.

My impression of 'Tea crystal' is that of an old Chinese tea house with people sipping 'GongFu' tea out of Zisha teapots.

Did you store your chili powder in the quartz bottle shown in your last pic 1108?
The palm design carved spoon has a ring, is that bone too?

Thank you for sharing.

Cheers,
YT
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2014, 02:51:31 am »

Dear YT,

Thanks for your compliments.

Chili powder...?!? What you see is Hedges 'Blend L.260' Snuff - one of London's finest! Only the REAL THING goes into my snuff bottles.  Wink

The palm spoon has a free 'bracelet', but I am not sure if it is bone or ivory. Probably bone.

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

YT
Private Boards

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2014, 03:01:30 am »

Dear Tom,

LOL!! My bad. I was thinking of chili powder as suitable usage in Thailand.
Hmmm, so you do serve snuff Wink

The bracelet adds a certain touch to the whole bottle.

Cheers,
YT
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2014, 07:51:48 am »

Dear Tom,
    Those bottles are all first rate, as I said when I had the privilege of handling them in Bangkok almost 2 months ago. The quartz crystal is wonderful as well.
Best,
  HAPPY NEW YEAR, EVERYONE!
   Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2014, 11:27:45 am »

Tom,

As usual wonderful mineral specimens and bottles to match.  I always appreciate such visuals.   

Charll 
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2014, 06:32:57 pm »

Interestingly, true smoky quartz will lose its colour when heated to about 200°C, and the colour will appear again when the crystal is irradiated with x- or gamma-rays. Consequently, the mineral can be artificially darkened by irradiation. Apparently a common practice is to artificially irradiate colourless quartz and sell it as smoky quartz. At big rock and gemstone fairs dealers are obliged to clearly label that quartz accordingly, as it's impossible to tell whether the source of the irradiation was natural or not just by looking at the crystals. Needless to say, some less scrupulous dealers don't do that and get away with it. In the USA a lot of agricultural produce gets irradiated with gamma rays as a means of sterilization, and a box of clear quartz just needs to be put on the same conveyor belt as the tomatoes for a couple of runs. Often the dealers overdo it and the crystals turn out suspiciously black!

This information about the irradiation is really interesting.. I did not know this..

As always, a truly detailed and educational posting Tom.. Truly beautiful bottles, and am really enjoying these "matching bottles to raw minerals" postings..
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2014, 10:09:17 pm »

All,

Here is one of the darker varieties of smoky quartz that Tom mentioned.  Simple dark smoky quartz, well hollowed bottle.  Rhodonite stopper with red glass collar and ivory spoon.  Without stopper the bottle is 6.0 cm tall by 3.3 cm across the wide face.  Raise foot ring base.  It's so dark is that it actually provides a mirror finish.

Charll

* Dark Smoky Quartz1.jpg (197.69 KB, 600x800 - viewed 43 times.)

* Dark Smoky Quartz2.jpg (185.75 KB, 600x800 - viewed 37 times.)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 10:19:36 pm by rpfstoneman » Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2014, 10:25:08 pm »

Joey, Charll and George,
     Thanks for your comments.

Charll,
     Nice bottle, and a really spectacular smoky quartz crystal cluster! Thanks for posting.
     I have been trying to find a good smoky quartz mineral specimen, but not seen anything even half as good as yours. When it comes to larger quartz crystals, it is mostly the clear colourless variety one sees in SE Asia, which makes me wonder where the Chinese obtained theirs from during the Qing period.
     Do you know where your specimen was mined?

Tom
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 10:27:15 pm by Wattana » Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

OIB
Private Boards

« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2014, 01:23:18 am »

Tom and Charll,

What an interesting arrangements of bottles and natural stones ! Beutiful to behold.

And the information from Tom on the ' irritable ' smoke quartz ( oops, ' irradiated ' , I mean - and, of course, if we get the artificially enhanced quartz, it can be really irritable  !!  Grin Grin ).

Regards,

Inn Bok
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2014, 11:23:34 pm »

Thanks Inn Bok,

I certainly hope my smoky quartz bottles are not "irritably irradiated", or I may have to separate "the warts from the quartz".

Happy New Year!
Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2014, 05:19:14 pm »

"the warts from the quartz".

Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged