About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 17, 2024, 08:38:53 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Data Base of ALL Modern inside-painted bottle artists

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Data Base of ALL Modern inside-painted bottle artists  (Read 1213 times)
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« on: May 22, 2011, 10:26:22 am »

Hi  All

Just  to  remind  you all  :  I have a  huge   data  base   -  8  GB  !    and   will soon be   16  GB  -   of  ALL  (  well,  nearly all)   modern  Inside-Painted  Bottle  'IPB'  artists   and  examples  of  their  works .

I can send  on  USB  memory  stick   free  of  charge  to  any  serious   collector

Please  contact me  direct by email for   details

Cheers   Peter  @  HK 

« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 08:48:34 am by Bottle Guy » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

cshapiro

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 11:10:29 am »

Hi Peter,

I hope this thread isn't too old, but I would like to revive it.
When I'm not collecting, I am a web developer. So I'm interested to see if you are still keeping up your database and if you have any interest in taking it online?

Cathy
Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 01:25:09 pm »

Hi Cathy

Many  thanks for your  email   Smiley

I did  once  try to  put  my data  base  on-line  using  i-cloud  but  it  turns  out  that  it's  very  difficult  to do  unless  one uses   Windows  8  ( I use   W7)  because  the  DB  is  a  system of  files  within  files  within files   within files  until one gets  down to  the  final  items  ( jpgs, pdf, word.doc)

Also  even to  upload  it  would  take an  age :  even now  when  copying  my  DB  between  my  two  home  computers (  X201S and  X240S)  via  my  home  4 x TB  HD  back-up  box  takes  several  hours  because the  DB is now about   12  GB and  some  file name  extensions  are  so long  they  fail  in copying

Also,   although  I  gave  away a  few   early  copies  of the  DB  to collector friends  I  got  back not  one single   helpful  feedback  like  : " Many thanks  for  the  DB  - here's  the  pics  of  all my  bottles  all  neatly  photographed  and    titled  for you  to  include  in the  next  version"

So I started  to  sell  the  DB  @  US$500  per  copy  ("Cast  not thy pearls  among swine")

Even  at  $500  the  DB  is a  give-away  because   there's  about  US$2,000  worth of  books  included  in  it  plus  2  years (4,000  hours)  of  work . It's  back-breaking   work to scan  a  book   and then  crop,  title  and   file  every  pic -  about  one  week    even with a  high  quality   office-standard  scanner .

Even when  I  gave the  keynote  speech  at the   2014  ICSBS   Convention  in  Xian   I  got  not  a  single  note of  interest  ( see the  Forum  side-bar "Contemporary  Schools  of  Inside  Painting")

But the   simple  answer  is  "YES"  it  should  go  on-line  eventually,  otherwise   all my  work  will be  wasted,  but  if  so  it  should   be  put  on-line  in  way that   users  have to pay ....  somehow,  either  per  view  or  per  download ( and if  download  it  should  be  in a way that prevents  the  user re-selling  the  DB  himself)

Over  to you  !

If  you   don't mind,  could  we please    correspond off-line  by email?

You can find  my   private email  on the  Forum  registry

Cheers

Peter
Report Spam   Logged

YT
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 09:15:46 pm »

Dear Peter,

I do not have your database so I cannot comment much. To have your database convert to web base, you need to put in even more time (and money). It is also easily hackable even if you control access. Also to consider is the copyrights issue.

Cheers,
YT
Report Spam   Logged

cshapiro

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 12:47:20 am »

Hi Peter,

I replied in pm

thanks,
Cathy
Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
Pages: [1]